Tuesday, January 22, 2013

5*5 1/1

Since I rarely get around to do anything much after getting home on weekday nights, I've now taken up to blogging on my phone to actually try to post a thing or two while commuting.

The day before yesterday, I started on the StrongLift 5*5 plan. It is a plan where you do 5 sets of 5 repetitions of squats, bench presses, overhead presses and what I think is a barbell upright row for every single workout. The catch is that you increase 2.5kg each time and build your volume and weight you carry steadily. There are only 3 moves you do each workout; 2 sets of exercises you alternate every workout. The first set is squats, bench presses and the rows. The other consists of squats, overhead presses and deadlift. Now, the deadlift is only 1*5 where the main proponent of this training technique proclaims you should be able to hit it hard enough and yet still have enough left in you to come back for the next challenge (with more weights) the next day.

I guess I didn't quite followed instructions. After my first workout, I went ahead to do 5*5 of leg curls for the hamstrings and _that_ machine for the abductors and adductors. One word, ouch. Over-training is terrible. I should have known better from all the crazy running I used to do, almost going all out for too many runs.

Needless to say, I have to pay the price of this lesson (again). Heading to work on the MRT, regurgitating my regrets while standing on my still-sore inner thighs and almost falling over when the plus-sized lady beside me nearly trips due to the train's oh-so-usual sudden stops.

No comments:

Post a Comment