Several things to update since the last post. Maybe I'll start with the reading first. I'm at page 644/1822 of The Idiot now. As I mentioned previously, I'm reading it on my phone. I've downloaded the ebook in .txt format from gutenberg and have been reading whenever I could. I can't remember when I first discovered gutenberg but what I do remember was reading Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky again) on a Cassiopeia palmtop 8 or so years back! I've finally picked up reading classics (in English) again and doing so now on my phone really brings me back to the old days, in a strange quasi-nostalgic way.
Anyways, The Idiot is a really good read. The antiquity whatsoever sometimes just fades away when the characters and their actions remind you of somebody you know. The characters' inter-relations and how easily I can relate similarities/differences of those relations with those that I have is really remarkable. Despite the long rhetoric passages here and there, it is pretty engaging. I don't how I could have stopped reading for the past years...
Speaking of reading, I was watching Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress last night (I'm determined to watch whatever Zhou Xun has been in). Again, I was struck by how reading could change lives. The old tailor and how he infused his fantasies and thoughts from the readings was really the most interesting to me (not the "revolutionary" ideas and what not).
On the subject of tailoring... That shall be discussed in the next post.
No comments:
Post a Comment